Saturday, September 09, 2006

Last night I spoke with my friend Grant and he told me of how most people are all just being friendly to one another appeasing each others social needs. It was kind of sad honestly because I think it may be true for some people.

It made me think of this guy I've known who would always tell me he was going to attend this or that or something other of either mine or my friends. Like if one of my friends had a bunch of football games, he would say, "I'll be there," but in all of those he's never shown actually shown up. And honestly that's fine, but I hope what Grant said isn't true about the community I live in as well. I hope that we're all not just appeasing one another's social needs because we think of each other as tools, or idiots who don't have a personality outside of being a social fiend.

I don't think that's why we're made, I think we're made for relationships and I hope we model that everyday... even if we don't intend to be best friends with that person for the rest of our lives, I hope we model to them that people are capable of loving and being honest.

3 comments:

Beverly said...

Man...lets just be real!...I hear ya boy!..how did the hip hop chapel go?

Candy said...

i'm on board with you too Matt! and yes, how was it?

Lucas said...

When I lived away from my family and had only a few people I knew, I was DEFINITELY being nice to people to appease my OWN social needs, and they were certainly being nice to me to appease my needs as well.