Sunday, March 04, 2007

The Third Verse

In sharing some stories tonight, I came across this poem I wrote some time back. Brent said he liked it, and I respect Brent as a writer (in light of the fact that we're all amateurs-though I am the chief of them no doubt). So here, a poem I wrote a long time ago...

The Third Verse...

I know not if yet you stroll by the waters,
By chance you do, open your eyes for ripples.
I’ve tried so hard not to, but I still sail boats.

If ever you still search my verse,
Worry less. Wake your eyes and look on the trees.
I’ve tried so hard not to, but I still scribble these silly poems.

If you’re cold and shivering in a night,
Take your jacket off. Your embers have not burned out.
I’ve tried so hard not to, but I still warm your story by fires.

I know not if you think I’ve long said goodbye,
By chance you do, search in a distant memory on your desk.
I’d bet I’m not too far away.

2 comments:

Beverly said...

wow..awesome Matt...

have a good break!

faye said...

Nice Tupac comment at Larry's Urban Daily! As a teacher, I use Tupac A LOT...Ironically, Tupac seems to scare "real grownups" more than contemporary hip hop artists; the irony is that he cursed while he did it, but actually wrote about social issues that my poverty-stricken kids need to be in tune with if they are going to one day be their own advocates. Most hip hop today really is about bling, mysogyny (sp? too lazy to check!)...